The agency said 713 infections of S. typhimurium had been reported – which was four times the usual number.
It added eating raw or runny eggs was a significant cause of illness.
Symptoms usually start between six hours to seven days (usually one to three days) after ingestion of the bacteria and typically last for two to seven days.
The WA Health Department said it was important to handle and prepare eggs safely to reduce the risk of food poisoning.
“Eggs are a good source of vitamins and minerals but like many other foods they can be contaminated with bacteria, including Salmonella.
“It is best to avoid any uncooked foods or dishes that contain raw egg and don't use cracked or dirty eggs. This is because it is impossible to guarantee the safety of eating raw eggs and dishes that contain unpasteurised raw egg products. This includes breakfast dishes containing eggs, desserts and aoli.
“Prepare egg dishes as close as possible to the time of consuming and refrigerate at or below 5°C. It is important to wash and dry your hands thoroughly after handling eggs.”