Mitsui and Kenko extend into US’s prepared food market with the acquisition of Hans Kissle

By Tingmin Koe

- Last updated on GMT

Two Japanese food firms Mitsui and Kenko have acquired US firm Hans Kissle. ©Pixabay
Two Japanese food firms Mitsui and Kenko have acquired US firm Hans Kissle. ©Pixabay

Related tags Sandwiches acquire prepared food

Two Japanese food firms Mitsui and Kenko are aiming to expand its presence in the US’s prepared food market after buying US firm Hans Kissle.

The two have jointly acquired 100% of the shares of Massachusetts-based Hans Kissle which produces and sells wholesale delicatessen main and side dishes, desserts, and other prepared foods for supermarkets and grocery stores in the north east region of the US.

Valued at approximately US$108m, the acquisition was completed on December 31 last year.

Under the acquisition, Mitsui will own 80% of the shares while Kenko will own the remaining 20%.

In response to queries from FoodNavigator-Asia​, a spokesman from Mitsui said that the acquisition would enhance Mitsui’s offerings of value-added, prepared food products in the growing US food market.

“Hans Kissle’s strong track record in producing safe, secure, and delicious food products, achieved through a high level of quality control built over decades, has enabled the company to steadily expand its business in the growing US prepared foods market. 

“Mitsui and Kenko will further enhance Hans Kissle’s capability by blending know-how and technology cultivated in Japan.”

In addition, Mitsui aims to reinforce Hans Kissle's market position and expand its reach, sales channels, and territory covered in the US’s prepared foods market.

He added that the population growth and changing food preferences led by diverse consumer lifestyles have expanded the US food market in recent years.

In view of the trend, the US prepared foods market is growing approximately 8% a year.

At present, Mitsui is selling products such as sandwiches in the US through its affiliate, Prime Deli, in Seven-Eleven Inc.   

The US is one of the biggest markets for Japanese food and beverage. 

According to the latest figures released by the Japan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries, as of last year, the United States is the third largest buyer of Japan’s farm produce at JPY$117.7bn (US$1.06bn).  

Mitsui’s ambitions

Besides Hans Kissle, Mitsui also recently acquired 25% shares of Ourofino, a Brazilian company which produces crop protection products, together with chemical manufacturer Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha.

Mitsui said in a company’s statement that it had identified nutrition and agriculture as a key new growth area in its medium-term management plan.

It said that Brazil was the world’s largest market for crop protection products, accounting for about 20% of the global market, hence the decision to invest in Ourofino. 

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

Elevate your snacks with novel cheese flavours

Elevate your snacks with novel cheese flavours

Content provided by Givaudan | 23-Feb-2024 | Product Brochure

Aside from conducting desk research to understand snacking preferences and taste profiles among consumers in the Asia Pacific, Givaudan also embarked on...

How Korean culture penetrated the APAC food industry?

How Korean culture penetrated the APAC food industry?

Content provided by BIOSPRINGER, natural Yeast ingredients | 17-Jan-2024 | White Paper

Korean food is on-trend in Asia. We mainly find Korean taste in noodles, sauces & dressings, pickled condiments, ready meals and savory snacks.

Empowering Women Through the Life Cycle

Empowering Women Through the Life Cycle

Content provided by Glanbia Nutritionals | 07-Nov-2023 | Product Brochure

As discussions around female empowerment widen, and advances in women’s health access and provision accelerate, the implications for business, healthcare,...

The World Agri-Tech Innovation Summit, Dubai, Dec 4-5

The World Agri-Tech Innovation Summit, Dubai, Dec 4-5

Content provided by World Agri-Tech Innovation Summit Dubai | 01-Nov-2023 | Event Programme

The renowned World Agri-Tech Innovation Summit has been taking place since 2013 in London, San Francisco and São Paulo. Now launching in the Middle East,...

Related suppliers

Follow us


View more


Food & Beverage Trailblazers

F&B Trailblazers Podcast