India

Nutraceutical sales to treble, though regulations aren’t strong enough

By RJ Whitehead

- Last updated on GMT

Nutraceutical sales to treble, though regulations aren’t strong enough

Related tags: Nutrition

India’s nutraceuticals industry is expected to nearly treble by 2020 largely because of the country’s changing lifestyle and attitudes to fitness.

According to research by NRCOS, the industry, which currently stands at US$2.2bn, will grow to US$6.1bn in the next five years.

The nutraceuticals industry in India is one of the rapid growing markets in the Asia-Pacific region. Factors like rising awareness about health and fitness, ageing population, changing lifestyle are fostering this growth​,” the report said.

The market is expected to grow at around 20% per year, with market penetration particularly strong in urban india compared to rural areas.

Urban penetration is more as demand for protein supplements is increasing among the urban youth due to a rising trend towards fitness, the report said.

More international and local companies are growing the market, where FMCG and pharmaceuticals have traditionally dominated the market.

The market is divided into functional food and beverages, which account for 68% of sales, whereas dietary supplements make up for the remaining 32%.

However, the report was critical of Indian regulations towards nutraceuticals, questioning the stringency of the Food Safety and Standards Act of India (FSSAI) 2006 to guarantee consumer safety.

FSSAI should play a significant role in defining standards to streamline the nutraceuticals market in India, which must include quality raw materials, safe manufacturing of products, health claims, labelling and distribution, and storage​,” it said.

Related news

Related products

show more

Pycnogenol® Reduces Severity of Dry Mouth

Pycnogenol® Reduces Severity of Dry Mouth

Horphag Research | 15-Jun-2020 | Clinical Study

Newly published research shows daily supplementation with Pycnogenol® significantly reduced mouth dryness by 66% and demonstrated 82% improvement of saliva...

Power through on health and immunity

Power through on health and immunity

DuPont Nutrition & Biosciences | Recorded the 13-May-2020 | Webinar

We believe that good nutrition is essential to a strong immune system. For decades, DuPont has delivered essential food and beverage innovation, so that...

Register for free

Pycnogenol® Provides Benefits for Men Managing ED

Pycnogenol® Provides Benefits for Men Managing ED

Horphag Research | 30-Mar-2020 | Clinical Study

Newly published research shows daily supplementation with Pycnogenol® can strengthen erectile function and address common conditions related to type 2...

Related suppliers

1 comment

Grammatical Error

Posted by Chandra,

"India’s nutraceuticals industry is expected to nearly treble by 2020 largely because of the country’s changing lifestyle and attitudes to fitness."
You mean "triple", not "treble".

Report abuse

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars

Food & Beverage Trailblazers

F&B Trailblazers Podcast