More than 100 sickened from Salmonella
Metro South Health Public Health Unit and Logan City Council said people had gone to emergency departments with gastro-intestinal illness.
Chinese restaurant Chin Chin in Springwood has been closed but officials said the restaurant could have been supplied with tainted products.
A number of people took to a page on Facebook to comment on the incident, with some suggesting it was from eggs used to make the batter for the deep fried ice cream, but this is as yet unconfirmed.
Dr Kari Jarvinen, Metro South Health public health physician, said that anyone suffering from gastro-intestinal illness should seek medical advice if symptoms do not settle promptly.
“Left untreated, people can become very sick from gastro and the longer they don’t seek treatment, the more dehydrated you become and the recovery time increases.
“People should take general hygiene precautions while sick such as washing their hands carefully to avoid spreading germs.
“It is important for people to stay home from work until they have recovered and have been free of symptoms for 24 hours, however if people work handling food they should wait until they have been symptom free for 48 hours.”