Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) has urged consumers to check their fridges for recalled mussels that may be contaminated with paralytic shellfish toxin, a naturally occurring marine biotoxin.
The presence of a paralytic shellfish toxin arising from a naturally-occurring algal bloom in Tasmania has forced the closure of Spring Bay Seafood’s shellfish farm and the business has initiated a recall of its mussels from the market.
The products recalled are branded Spring Bay Live Blue Mussels, with use-by dates of between October 22 and November 10, and Coles Cooked Tasmanian mussels in cream white wine sauce with a use-by date of November 12.
FSANZ chief executive Steve McCutcheon said that consumers should check the brand of mussels in their fridges and, if the product has been recalled, they should either dispose of any remaining product or return packets to the place of purchase for a full refund. If consumers have mussels in their fridge and are unsure of the source, they should consider disposing of the product.
No cases of illness linked to the recalled products have been reported.
Symptoms of paralytic shellfish poisoning generally appear 10 to 30 minutes after ingestion and may include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and tingling or burning mouth and extremities. Children and people with weakened immune systems may be more susceptible to the toxin’s effects.